My Music

Saturday 30 July 2011

My Gear List


Fender Modern Player Tele Plus


Thanks to the inclusion of a strat single coil & coil tap-able Humbucker, this tele is a total tone machine & really nice to play. You can play any style from County, Blues, right up to Metal with this great & pretty affordable Fender Telecaster.

EVH Wolfgang Special



Here are links to some reviews:

EVH 5250 III 50Watt



Moog Sub Phatty


Alesis DM5 Pro


M-Audio Oxygen61

I bought this midi keyboard secondhand at a very good price, apart form the modwheel being a bit wonky everything else works as its meant to. Its not the best midi keyboard in the world but it gets the job done. I also have the oxygen 8 v2.

Launchpad



The launchpad is a genius wee midi device. It can be used for controlling track volume, panning, controlling FX & playing drums (but no velocity which is a bummer) but the LPs main & strongest feature is launching clips. What's so great about that? you might think. Its great for coming up with new arrangement ideas & much quicker than haveing to assign the qwerty keyboard or midi keyboard keys to multiple clips. And of course you can assign clips to play FX (ghost clips)

Akai LPK25


Adam A5X Monitors

These monitors are just amazing, so precise & make life a whole lot easy in the mixing department. Judging EQ adjustments, Reverb & Delay amount/editing is immensely easier to do than it was with my previous monitors (Behringer B2031Ps). The detail especially in the mid to high register is very defined but not so much at the low end, which is to be expected for speakers of this size. Overall though these monitors truly do sound fantastic.

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6




I was on the hunt for an upgrade from my old soundcard (Maudio 2496) for a while & I was hoping to get something for the £100 - £150 price mark. I was going to go for the Focusrite Saffire 6 which ticked most of the boxes but then out came the KA6. While I was initially reluctant to fork out an extra £100 for it I'm now really glad I did. Its solid & built like a tank but most importantly Its probably one of the best sounding usb soundcards in this price range.

 SPEC:
  • 4 analog inputs: 2 balanced mic/line/instrument (XLR); plus 2 balanced line (1/4" TRS)
  • 4 balanced analog outputs (1/4" TRS)
  • Digital stereo input and output (S/PDIF / RCA) for lossless signal transmission
  • MIDI in/out for master keyboard, MASCHINE or any third-party MIDI controller
  • Headphone output with independent level control and source switch
  • Completely USB powered, with an extra sturdy custom USB socket
The Mic pres sound really good to me & my guitar sounds crystal clear on the instrument input setting. Another major bonus is that the headphone out is switch-able between output 1/2 & 3/4 which is great for DJ A/Bing in Ableton Live. This is a very compact, roadworthy & excellent sounding little beast of a usb soundcard.

Mac Mini





2.3GHz Mac mini


  • 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • 16GB memory
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • OS X Mountain Lion



CoolerMaster Cosmos Case, Asus P5K Motherboard, 8GB RAM, Q6600 CPU,
Windows 7 x64
This is the second self built PC for me & at the time of building most of the components in this build were top spec. The main part I was really careful when choosing was the motherboard, as some motherboards just don't cut it when it comes to building a Studio PC. At the time of building the Asus P5K was one of the most recommended motherboard out there for Audio Production. All of the components are held together in the Coolermaster Cosmos, an absolute monster of a PC case. The picture here really doesn't do it justice, this thing is huge with plenty of space for hard drives & actually comes with some internal noise absorbtion. This PC is pretty old now but can still handle mostly everything I throw at it.

Acer TimelineX 4820T

Slim & very portable at 14" This is a great wee laptop. I did my research before buying this laptop & 99% of the review for this Laptop were very favourable. I was actually surprised at how much this slender laptop could handle for only having an i3 processor, Ableton Live runs great on it & I also dual boot Ubuntu which runs very fast on this Laptop.

Beyerdynamic DT250

These are really good headphones that I got at a great bargain price. Low to mid range is very precise on these, the highs not so much but its acceptable between using these & my A5X's I'm starting to get really good mixs now. Another plus point is that a lot of the parts in these headphones is easily replaceable.



DAW/Host Software

I know...I'm a bit of a DAW Junkie. But I do like to change my production environment from time to time & in my opinion these three are the best I've come across. I've tried most DAW programs out there including Cubase, Sonar & Pro tools (which is seen as the industry standard). While these top DAWs  may come with many features that are absent in the three I've chosen to work with, Live Reaper & Studio one actually offer a way of working & some features the top DAW programs could really do with ( in my honest opinion of course)

Reaper v4.01

Ableton Live 8



Presonus |Studio One


No comments:

Post a Comment